Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Simple Stars and Stripes


This turned out to be one of my favorite quilts!

It was inspired by this patriotic stash of fabrics I pulled together from my stash and lived with it for awhile in a vintage tool box. I had never made a red, white and blue quilt before so wanted to try it. I used creams instead of whites which gives it a vintage look.

I knew I wanted to make some kind of stars with stripes. Since I love an informal quilting process I started with a square and then I cut random sized triangles for the stars. After sewing, I trimmed to 1/4 inch.And squared up the block after both point were added.



For the stripes, I started sewing strips of reds and creams in random widths. Then trimmed to a width I liked. (Save the cut edges and piece together for small projects)
 I cut random sized triangles for the stars.After sewing on at an angle, I trimmed straight across the bottom. Notice the star points are larger so no matching was needed!
 On my design wall:
 
I quilted in 1/4 spaced rows for a modern look.



Cutting Instructions for each block:

Center star blocks: 
Cut 1 Blue fabric and 8 Cream fabrics 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" 
Star points cut 4 Blue fabrics 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" and cut in half (trimmed after sewing)

Boarder stars along red and cream strips
Cut 1 Blue fabric 4" x 4" 
Star points cut 4 Blue fabrics 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" and cut in half (trimmed after sewing)

Boarder Stripes: 
Cut Reds and Creams in random widths then cut to 4 1/2" long (will be trimmed to 4" later).

For sewing follow photo steps above.This quilt is 34" x 34" so has:
  • 4 center star blocks 
  • 9 boarder stars (note some of them are partial for the boarder)
  • 2 red and cream strip sets


No comments:

Post a Comment