Saturday, May 2, 2015

Quilted Placemats

I wanted to make some placemats with a pop of color. I picked turquoises and greens which would also go great with my Fiestaware dishes. I pulled out lots of fabric strips and randomly made log cabin blocks until the size was just right.These are 14" x 14" with two layers of cotton batting. The quilting stitches are about 2 apart.
I decided the corners needed to be curved to go with the curve on the table. I used a small plate and chalked on a curve to cut. Then added bias binding. I find the easiest way to add bias binding so that the stitching looks good on the front and the back is to pin on the binding encasing the edge with the back side slightly wider.
 The small Clover Wonder Clips work great for holding the binding tight while sewing. Sew slowly with needle down and sort of feel through to the back part of the binding to make sure it is getting sewn also.
   These are reversible so we can use both sides.
 

As much as I don't want these to get food on them, they are meant to be used and washed easily!

No comments:

Post a Comment