Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Art Collages on Wood Panels

When inspiration sets in to create with a different medium (besides fabrics) it can be very fun and can stretch your creativity. These art collages on wood panels did just that!

I had always wanted to explore using gel medium and mixed media. So I bought some 6" x 6" wood panels and gathered up bits of this and that. I discovered that the gel medium works perfect with the water soluble pencils. I drew little faces on watercolor paper and cut them out. Then I shaded with the pencils. I like the imperfect sort of rustic look. My only goal was to play and have fun. I figured if I didn't like how any of them turned out I could add different embellishments over the top.
I added ribbon around the edges and covered it with gel medium too.
They add a nice pop of color above the cabinets.
 Supplies:
  • 6" x 6" wood panels
  • Gel medium - semi gloss (I like this over mat as there is a slight sheen)
  • Tissue paper, used color catcher sheets, water color paper, magazine pictures, etc.
  • Ribbon
  • Derwent Inktense water soluble pencils
  • Ink stampers 
  • Large stiff paint brush works best to apply the gel medium
 
 I need another play time like this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment